Spicy Sausage and Pepper Stew
- ¾ lb. (12 oz.) reduced fat hot Italian sausage, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 can (14 oz.) reduced sodium beef broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 oz. each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15-1/2 oz. each) kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 45 PREMIUM Unsalted Tops Saltine Crackers
- Cook sausage, pepper and celery in large saucepan on medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, stirring frequently; drain.
- Add flour; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in broth, tomatoes with their liquid and beans. Bring to boil; reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with crackers.
Add some spice to your life with this tasty low calorie, low-fat dish. The green pepper and tomatoes team up to provide vitamin C!
Prepare as directed, using your favorite variety of canned beans.
- Cooking Know-How
The secret to a quick-cooking stew is having all your ingredients cut small enough to cook quickly. If you have trouble cutting the sausage into 1/2-inch slices, just remove it from the casing and break it up as you brown it. Be sure to drain the excess fat after browning.
Nutrition Per Serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat 7g|
|Saturated fat 2g|
|Dietary fiber 6g|
|Total sugars 4g|
|Vitamin A||4 %DV|
|Vitamin C||30 %DV|