SOUR PATCH KIDS Fiesta Fun Cupcakes
Need fun party cupcakes without a lot of hassle? Start with a boxed mix and no one will guess once you add this easy homemade frosting and fun sour candy toppings.
Prep time30 min
Total time2hr 30min
ServingsMakes 24 servings.
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) SOUR PATCH KIDS Candies, divided
- 3 large limes, divided
- 1 pkg. (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 lb. powdered sugar (4-1/2 cups)
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- Reserve 24 candies for later use. Place remaining candies in large freezer-weight resealable plastic bag; freeze 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, grate enough peel, then squeeze juice from 2 limes to measure 2 Tbsp. EACH zest and juice. Cut remaining lime into 6 slices, then cut each slice into quarters. Reserve for later use.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Crush frozen candies. Prepare cake batter as directed on package; stir in 3/4 cup crushed candies, and 1 Tbsp. EACH lime zest and juice. Spoon into 24 paper-lined muffin pan caps. Return remaining crushed candies to freezer.
- Bake cupcakes 18 to 20 min. or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pans 10 min. Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
- Beat butter in large bowl with mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, mixing well after each addition. Blend in milk, 1 Tbsp. at a time, until frosting is of desired spreading consistency. Beat in vanilla, then remaining lime zest and lime juice until blended.
- Spread or pipe frosting onto cupcakes; sprinkle with remaining frozen crushed candies. Top with remaining whole candies and lime slices just before serving.
- Size Wise
Looking for a dessert to serve at a party? These fun cupcakes make 24 servings so they can feed a crowd.
- How to Crush the Frozen Candies
Use a meat mallet or the bottom of a heavy skillet to crush the frozen candies while still in the bag. If crushed candies stick together, lightly tap bag on countertop to separate the candy pieces before using as directed.
- Make It Easy
Substitute 2 cans (16 oz. each) ready-to-use vanilla frosting for the homemade frosting. Stir in lime zest and juice before using as directed.
Nutrition Per Serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat 10g|
|Saturated fat 4.5g|
|Trans fat 0g|
|Dietary fiber <1g|
|Total sugars 31g|
|Added sugars 27g|
|Vitamin A||6 %DV|
|Vitamin C||4 %DV|
|Vitamin D||0 %DV|