RITZ, Sausage & Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms
These delicious mushrooms stuffed with sausage, spinach, cheese and buttery RITZ Crackers can be made ahead and frozen up to a week ahead for an impressive party appetizer.
Prep time20 min
ServingsMakes 10 servings, 2 mushrooms each.
- 20 large fresh mushrooms (1 lb.)
- 4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cups tightly packed fresh spinach leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ lb. Italian sausage
- 20 RITZ Crackers, coarsely crushed, divided
- ½ cup shredded fontina cheese
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Remove stems from mushrooms. Chop stems; set aside. Reserve mushroom caps for later use.
- Heat 1 tsp. oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add spinach; cook and stir 1 to 2 min. or until tender. Drain spinach in colander; cool.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp. of the remaining oil in skillet. Add garlic and chopped mushroom stems; cook 2 to 3 min. or until tender, stirring frequently. Spoon into medium bowl.
- Crumble sausage into skillet; cook until done, stirring occasionally. Drain. Squeeze spinach dry, then chop spinach.
- Reserve 2 Tbsp. cracker crumbs for later use. Add remaining crumbs to cooked mushrooms along with the sausage, spinach, shredded cheese, pepper and 1 Tbsp. Parmesan; mix lightly.
- Spoon sausage mixture into mushroom caps; place, stuffing sides up, on rimmed baking sheet.
- Combine reserved cracker crumbs with remaining Parmesan and oil; sprinkle over mushrooms.
- Bake 20 min. or until heated through.
For best results, the mushroom caps should be about 2 inches in diameter.
Substitute 1/2 cup thawed frozen chopped spinach for the cooked fresh spinach. Squeeze the spinach dry before using as directed.
- Make Ahead
The mushroom caps can be filled ahead of time. Freeze up to 1 week. When ready to serve, refrigerate 1 hour or until thawed, then bake in 400°F oven 8 to 10 min. or until heated through.
Nutrition Per Serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat 9g|
|Saturated fat 3g|
|Trans fat 0g|
|Dietary fiber <1g|
|Total sugars 2g|
|Added sugars 0g|
|Vitamin A||10 %DV|
|Vitamin C||4 %DV|
|Vitamin D||0 %DV|