RITZ Mock Apple Pie
No time to peel apples? Fake it like a pro with this surprising combo of Ritz Crackers, lemon and cinnamon. Truly as easy as pie.
Prep time35 min
Total time1hr 40min
ServingsMakes 10 servings.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1¾ cups water
- Zest and 2 Tbsp. juice from 1 lemon
- 1 pkg. (14.1 oz.) ready-to-use refrigerated pie crust (2 crusts)
- 36 RITZ Crackers, coarsely broken (about 1-3/4 cups)
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine, cut into small pieces
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Mix sugar and cream of tartar in medium saucepan. Gradually stir in water. Bring to boil on high heat; simmer on low heat 5 min. or until mixture is reduced to 1-1/2 cups. Stir in zest and juice; cool 30 min.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Roll out 1 crust on lightly floured surface to 11-inch circle; place in 9-inch pie plate. Place cracker crumbs in crust. Pour sugar syrup over crumbs; top with butter and cinnamon.
- Roll out remaining crust to 10-inch circle; place over pie. Seal and flute edge. Cut several slits in top crust to permit steam to escape.
- Bake 30 to 35 min. or until golden brown. Cool.
Enjoy this mock apple pie treat but be mindful of the serving size.
- Chocolate-Walnut Mock Apple Pie
Prepare as directed, sprinkling 1/2 cup each chopped walnuts and semi-sweet chocolate chunks over cracker crumbs before covering with sugar syrup.
Prepare using pastry for 2-crust 9-inch pie. Divide pastry in half; continue as directed.
Nutrition Per Serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat 18g|
|Saturated fat 5g|
|Dietary fiber 0g|
|Total sugars 40g|
|Vitamin A||0 %DV|
|Vitamin C||0 %DV|