RITZ Heirloom Tomato Pie
Ripe fresh tomatoes are layered with sweet caramelized onions, shredded Gouda cheese and RITZ Crackers to make this delicious summertime pie.
Prep time15 min
ServingsMakes 10 servings.
- 2 heirloom tomatoes (3/4 lb.)
- ½ cup caramelized onions (See Tip.)
- 4 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 42 RITZ Crackers, divided
- 5 oz. smoked Gouda cheese, shredded (1-1/4 cups), divided
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Core tomatoes, then cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place on paper towels; let stand 10 min. to drain. Meanwhile, combine onions and mustard.
- Place 13 crackers in single layer on bottom of 9-inch pie plate sprayed with cooking spray.
- Reserve 2 Tbsp. cheese for later use. Sprinkle half of the remaining cheese over crackers in pie plate. Stand 16 of the remaining crackers, with edges slightly overlapping, around edge of pie plate.
- Layer half EACH of the onion mixture and tomatoes over crackers on bottom of pie plate; top with layers of remaining crackers, cheese, onion mixture and tomatoes. Sprinkle with reserved cheese. Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake 20 to 25 min. or until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with thyme leaves.
- How to Make Caramelized Onions
Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add 4 cups sliced onions; cook 10 min., stirring frequently. Simmer on medium-low heat 15 to 20 min. or until onions are tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally. Makes about 1 cup caramelized onions. Use 1/2 cup of the caramelized onions to prepare this pie. Then, refrigerate remaining caramelized onions up to 5 days, or freeze up to 1 month, before using as desired.
For best results, use firm but ripe tomatoes.
Prepare using your favorite variety of cheese, such as Gruyere, cheddar or Fontina, and/or your choice of fresh summer herbs, such as basil, chives or oregano.
Nutrition Per Serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat 9g|
|Saturated fat 3.5g|
|Trans fat 0g|
|Dietary fiber <1g|
|Total sugars 3g|
|Added sugars <1g|
|Vitamin A||4 %DV|
|Vitamin C||4 %DV|
|Vitamin D||0 %DV|