Queso Dip with Chorizo, Grilled Onions & Peppers
Prep time40 min
ServingsMakes 24 servings, about 2 Tbsp. dip and 16 WHEAT THINS each.
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 6 oz. fresh Mexican chorizo(about 2 links), casings removed
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp. EACH freshly ground black pepper and ground nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- ½ Vidalia onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 3 green onions, chopped, divided
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- WHEAT THINS Original Snacks
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in large saucepan on medium-high heat. Add crumbled chorizo; cook 5 min. or until done, stirring frequently. Add flour; cook and stir 1 min.
- Add milk gradually, mixing well after each addition. Add cumin, black pepper and nutmeg; mix well. Cook on medium heat 2 to 3 min. or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add cheese; cook and stir 2 to 3 min. or until completely melted. Remove from heat; cover to keep warm.
- Heat cast-iron griddle or grill pan on high heat. Brush Vidalia onions and red peppers with remaining oil; grill 2 to 3 min. on each side or until lightly charred on both sides. Transfer to cutting board.
- Chop grilled vegetables coarsely. Add to chorizo mixture along with 3 Tbsp. green onions; mix well. Spoon into serving container; sprinkle with paprika and remaining green onions.
- Serve with WHEAT THINS.
- Snack Mindfully
Tune in to your hunger and fullness cues. This can help you manage portions and become more aware of how much to eat.
If using the harder-cured chorizo, cut it into slices, then process it in a food processor before cooking as directed.
- Serving Suggestion
Serve with your favorite NABISCO Crackers, such as RITZ Crackers or TRISCUIT Crackers.
Nutrition Per Serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat 12g|
|Saturated fat 3.5g|
|Trans fat 0g|
|Dietary fiber 3g|
|Total sugars 5g|
|Added sugars 4g|
|Vitamin A||6 %DV|
|Vitamin C||4 %DV|
|Vitamin D||0 %DV|