Pull-Apart Touchdown Cake
This fun cake will become the centerpiece of your big game party. These OREO Cookie cupcakes are decorated like a football field but easy to pull apart for serving.
Prep time15 min
Total time1hr 15min
ServingsMakes 24 servings.
- 25 OREO Cookies, divided
- 1 pkg. (2-layer size) devil's food cake mix
- 8 pretzel sticks (4 inch)
- 2 oz. white baking chocolate, melted
- 1 tsp. EACH yellow and red nonpareils
- 2 containers (16 oz. each) ready-to-spread white frosting, divided
- ¼ tsp. green food coloring (about 24 drops)
- ¼ cup green sprinkles
- 22 SOUR PATCH KIDS Candies
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Reserve 1 cookie for later use. Place remaining cookies in 24 paper-lined muffin cups. Prepare cake batter as directed on package; spoon over cookies in muffin pans. Bake as directed on package for cupcakes. Cool in pans 5 min.; remove to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, use pretzels to make 2 goalposts on sheet of waxed paper. Drizzle with melted chocolate, then sprinkle with nonpareils. Let stand until chocolate is firm.
- Remove and discard paper liners from cupcakes. Arrange cupcakes, with cookie sides up and sides touching, in rectangular shape on platter.
- Spoon 1/4 cup frosting into pastry bag fitted with small round tip; reserve for later use. Spoon remaining frosting into medium bowl; stir in food coloring. Spoon into separate pastry bag fitted with star tip.
- Pipe green frosting onto cupcakes to resemble grass on a football field as shown in photo; top with green sprinkles. Use some of the white frosting to decorate top of reserved cookie to resemble a football. Use remaining white frosting to add the lines and 50-yard marking on the football field.
- Insert goal posts into top of cake, then decorate top of cake with football cookie and SOUR PATCH KIDS Candies just before serving.
- Size Wise
In addition to being easy to make, these fun sports-themed treats are portion controlled for easy serving.
If you don't have pastry bags, you can instead use resealable plastic bags to pipe the frostings onto the cupcakes as directed. You will need a large bag for the green frosting and a small bag for the white frosting. Fill bags with frostings as directed, then cut one small corner off bottom of each bag before using to pipe frosting onto the cupcakes.
You might have a small amount of cake batter left after making the 24 cupcakes. If so, just spoon the remaining batter into a few additional paper-lined muffin cups and bake as directed for cupcakes. Reserve for another use.
Nutrition Per Serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat 15g|
|Saturated fat 3.5g|
|Trans fat 0g|
|Dietary fiber 1g|
|Total sugars 43g|
|Vitamin A||0 %DV|
|Vitamin C||0 %DV|