PREMIUM au Gratin Onion Soup
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 3 large sweet onions, sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 qt. (4 cups) beef broth
- 12 PREMIUM Saltine Crackers
- 4 oz. low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into 12 slices
- Heat oil in medium saucepan on medium-low heat. Add onions and garlic; stir. Cook on medium-low heat 20 to 25 min. or until onions are soft and golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add flour; cook and stir 2 to 3 min. or until lightly browned. Gradually stir in broth; cook 10 min. or until slightly thickened, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350°F. Place crackers in single layer on parchment-covered baking sheet; top with cheese. Bake 3 to 5 min. or until cheese is melted.
- Ladle soup into bowls; top with crackers.
The melted mozzarella-topped crackers add the perfect finishing touch to bowls of this flavorful onion soup. And as a bonus, the cheese is also a good source of calcium.
Substitute 3 cans (14.5 to 18.5 oz. each) French onion soup for the homemade soup. Heat soup. Serve topped with the cheese-topped crackers.
Prepare using fat-free reduced-sodium beef broth.
Prepare using your favorite variety of PREMIUM Saltine Crackers.
Nutrition Per Serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat 7g|
|Saturated fat 3g|
|Trans fat 0g|
|Dietary fiber 1g|
|Total sugars 5g|
|Vitamin A||2 %DV|
|Vitamin C||4 %DV|