Onion Rings with Smoky Ranch Dip
Prep time30 min
ServingsMakes 16 servings, about 2 onion rings and 1 Tbsp. dip each.
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 large sweet onion (3/4 lb.)
- 6 Tbsp. flour, divided
- 1 qt. (4 cups) oil
- 70 RITZ Everything Crackers, finely crushed, divided
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¾ cup beer, divided
- Mix dressing and paprika until blended. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cut thin slice off both ends of onion; discard or reserve for another use. Cut remaining onion into 1/2-inch-thick slices; separate into rings. Remove any rings that are too small for dipping; reserve for another use. Toss remaining onion rings with 2 Tbsp. flour in large bowl.
- Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven on medium heat to 350°F. Meanwhile, combine 1/2 cup cracker crumbs with cornstarch, baking powder and remaining flour in medium bowl. Gradually stir in 1/2 cup beer with fork or whisk. Let stand 5 min. to thicken to consistency of pancake batter.
- Place remaining cracker crumbs in shallow dish. Dip onion rings, 1 at a time, in batter then in cracker crumbs, turning to evenly coat both sides of each ring with each ingredient. (Note: Add remaining beer, 1 to 2 Tbsp. at a time, to batter as needed for proper dipping consistency.) Carefully add onion rings, in small batches, to hot oil; fry 2 to 3 min. or until crisp and deep golden brown. Use slotted spoon to remove onions from oil; drain on paper towel-covered baking sheets.
- Serve warm with dressing mixture.
For best results, use an onion at least 2 inches in diameter. This makes for easier dipping and frying. If you don't have a onion that large, you can instead cut 2 smaller onions into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Pick the 32 largest slices to use to prepare this recipe. Refrigerate remaining onion pieces until ready to use as desired.
- Size Wise
Balance your food choices throughout the day to make room for these onion rings on occasion.
Substitute finely chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for the smoked paprika.
Nutrition Per Serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat 18g|
|Saturated fat 3g|
|Trans fat 0g|
|Dietary fiber <1g|
|Total sugars 3g|
|Added sugars 1g|
|Vitamin A||0 %DV|
|Vitamin C||0 %DV|
|Vitamin D||0 %DV|