Not-Your-Classic Caramel Flan
A fixture on Latin restaurant dessert menus, creamy flan is simple enough to make at home. To add crunch to this traditionally smooth custard, we add a layer of whole honey grahams.
Prep time45 min
Total time2hr 30min
ServingsMakes 8 servings, 1 flan each.
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 6 eggs
- 2 cans (13 oz. each) evaporated milk
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 6 HONEY MAID Honey Grahams
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Cook sugar and water in large saucepan on medium heat 10 min. or until sugar is completely dissolved and deep golden brown in color, stirring constantly and occasionally brushing sugar crystals off side of pan with moistened pastry brush. (Watch carefully so caramel sauce does not burn.) Pour caramel into 8 (6-oz.) ovenproof ramekins; tilt ramekins to evenly coat bottoms with sauce.
- Whisk next 4 ingredients until blended; pour into ramekins. Place in large baking pan filled with 1 to 2 inches hot water. (Water should come about halfway up sides of filled ramekins.)
- Bake 35 to 45 min. or until centers of custards are set. Carefully transfer ramekins from water bath to wire rack; cool completely.
- Refrigerate 1 hour or until chilled. Meanwhile, break 4 grahams crosswise in half; coarsely crush remaining grahams.
- Unmold flans onto graham squares just before serving. (See tip.) Sprinkle with graham crumbs.
- Size Wise
Each flan is baked in its own ramekin which helps with portion control of these creamy desserts.
- How to Unmold Flans
Run small sharp knife around chilled flan in 1 ramekin. Place graham square over ramekin, then top with small dessert plate. Carefully flip graham-topped plate and ramekin over, shaking ramekin slightly if necessary to loosen flan. Remove ramekin. Repeat with remaining graham squares and ramekins.
Substitute vanilla bean paste for the vanilla extract.
Nutrition Per Serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat 16g|
|Saturated fat 8g|
|Trans fat 0g|
|Dietary fiber 0g|
|Total sugars 64g|
|Vitamin A||10 %DV|
|Vitamin C||4 %DV|