Down-Home Macaroni & Cheese
With all due respect to the mac, mac and cheese is all about the cheese: the creamy melt, the richness in every bite. This is as near to perfection as you’ll find.
Prep time25 min
ServingsMakes 5 servings, 1 cup each.
- ¼ cup butter or margarine, divided
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ lb. (8 oz.) VELVEETA®, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 RITZ Crackers, crushed (about 1/4 cup)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Melt 3 Tbsp. butter in medium saucepan on medium heat. Whisk in flour; cook 2 min., stirring constantly. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to boil; cook and stir 3 to 5 min. or until thickened. Add VELVEETA; cook 3 min. or until melted, stirring frequently. Stir in macaroni.
- Spoon into 2-qt. casserole sprayed with cooking spray; sprinkle with cheddar. Melt remaining butter; toss with cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake 20 min. or until heated through.
- Better For You
Save 50 calories and 8g of fat, including 5g of saturated fat, per serving by preparing with fat-free milk, 2% Milk VELVEETA, shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese and RITZ Reduced Fat Crackers.
- Special Extra
Stir in 1/4 cup bacon bits with the cooked macaroni.
Substitute American cheese for the VELVEETA.
Nutrition Per Serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat 25g|
|Saturated fat 15g|
|Dietary fiber 2g|
|Total sugars 8g|
|Vitamin A||20 %DV|
|Vitamin C||0 %DV|