CHIPS AHOY! Caramel Layered Brownies
A fudge brownie mix gets fancy when topped with caramels, chopped chocolate chip cookies and a sprinkle of sea salt for a divine dessert bar.
Prep time20 min
Total time1hr 23min
ServingsMakes 30 servings.
- 1 pkg. (18 to 20 oz.) fudge brownie mix (13x9-inch pan size)
- 18 CHIPS AHOY! Cookies, divided
- 20 soft caramels made with butter and cream (about 4-1/2 oz.), divided
- 1 tsp. water
- ¼ tsp. coarse sea salt
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Line 13x9-inch pan with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides. Spray with cooking spray.
- Prepare batter as directed on package for cake-like brownies. Pour 2/3 of the batter into prepared pan.
- Arrange 15 cookies in even layer over batter in pan; top each cookie (in batter) with a caramel. Spoon remaining batter over cookies and caramels in pan; spread batter to evenly cover cookies. (Some caramels may show through brownie batter.)
- Bake 20 to 23 min. or until toothpick inserted in center of brownie comes out with fudgy crumbs. (Do not overbake.) Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, microwave water and remaining caramels in small microwaveable bowl on HIGH 10 to 15 sec. or until caramels begin to melt; stir until caramels are completely melted. Drizzle over brownie.
- Chop remaining cookies. Sprinkle cookies, then salt over dessert.
- Use foil handles to remove brownie from pan before cutting to serve.
- Important Note
Made with butter and cream, soft caramels can be purchased in most grocery and convenience stores, as well as online. The soft caramels needed to prepare this recipe are so soft that when pressed between your fingers, the shapes of the caramels will change. Typically, soft caramels are rectangular in shape and measure about 1-1/2 x 1/2 inches in size. If you cannot find soft caramels, do not substitute square caramels since they become too hard after baking. Instead, omit the caramel layer in the baked brownie. Microwave 5 square caramels with 1 tsp. water in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 25 to 30 sec. or until caramels begin to melt; stir until caramels are completely melted. Drizzle over cooled baked brownie.
Prepare using your favorite variety of CHIPS AHOY! Cookies.
- Special Extra
Top each serving with a scoop of your favorite flavor of ice cream, then sprinkle with chopped nuts and/or multi-colored sprinkles.
Nutrition Per Serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat 6g|
|Saturated fat 1.5g|
|Trans fat 0g|