Chicken Parmesan with Rotini
The secret ingredient to this deliciously crunchy and super fast recipe is crumbled crackers.
- 3 cups whole wheat rotini pasta
- 10 RITZ Reduced Fat Crackers, crushed (about 1/2 cup crumbs)
- 3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1 egg white
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 lb.)
- 2 cups tomato-basil spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta in large saucepan as directed on package. Meanwhile, combine cracker crumbs, Parmesan cheese and oregano in pie plate. Lightly beat egg white in separate pie plate. Dip chicken in egg white, then roll in crumb mixture until evenly coated. Set aside.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat on medium heat. Add chicken; cook 5 min. on each side or until cooked through (165ºF). Spoon 1 cup of the spaghetti sauce over chicken; top with mozzarella cheese. Cover skillet with lid. Reduce heat to low; simmer 3 min. or until sauce is hot and cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, drain pasta; return to pan. Add remaining 1 cup spaghetti sauce; toss to coat. Cook on medium heat 2 min. or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Spoon onto serving plates; top with the chicken.
This wonderful version of an Italian favorite is not only low in fat but also provides calcium from the mozzarella cheese. Eating right never tasted so good!
- Makeover - How We Did It
We coated a hot skillet with cooking spray and cooked the chicken until crisp instead of frying it in oil like traditional recipes. This small change plus using reduced fat mozzarella cheese will save you 100 calories and 13 grams of fat, including 2.5 grams of saturated fat, per serving.
Nutrition Per Serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat 11g|
|Saturated fat 4.5g|
|Dietary fiber 8g|
|Total sugars 11g|
|Vitamin A||20 %DV|
|Vitamin C||15 %DV|