Black Bean Soup
Onion, garlic, cumin, salsa, lime juice and crushed red pepper give this black bean soup zesty flavor. Dollops of yogurt add a cool, tangy touch.
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 3 cans (16 oz. each) black beans, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz.) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 jar (16 oz.) salsa
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- ½ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- PREMIUM Saltine Crackers, any variety
- Cook onion, garlic, cumin and pepper flakes in oil in 4-quart saucepot on medium heat 3 minutes or until onion is tender; remove from heat.
- Place 2 cans beans with liquid in batches with broth in blender; cover. Blend until pureed. Stir into saucepot. Stir in remaining beans, salsa and lime juice.
- Heat mixture to boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 30 minutes. Ladle 1 cup soup into each bowl; top with dollop of yogurt. Serve with crackers.
Enjoy your crackers with this bean-based soup; it's rich in dietary fiber.
Substitute fat-free sour cream for the yogurt.
Nutrition Per Serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total fat 6g|
|Saturated fat 1g|
|Dietary fiber 8g|
|Total sugars 5g|
|Vitamin A||4 %DV|
|Vitamin C||4 %DV|