BBQ Turkey Chili
Prep time20 min
Total time8hr 35min
ServingsMakes 14 servings, 1 cup chili and 5 crackers each.
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 each: red and yellow bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1 lb. each: ground turkey and hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- ½ cup beer
- 1 can (15 oz.) each: kidney and pinto beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce
- sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese, for garnish
- PREMIUM Saltine Crackers
- Heat oil in large skillet. Add next 7 ingredients; stir. Cook until vegetables are tender and seasonings are aromatic, about 10 min.
- Add turkey and sausage; break meat up with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook until no longer pink, about 4 min. Stir in beer and scrape up any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Add to a large slow cooker. Stir in beans, tomatoes and barbecue sauce. Cover with lid and turn the heat to LOW; cook for 8 hours. (Or, cook on HIGH for 5 hours.)
- Top chili with sour cream and cheddar. Serve with the crackers.
- Special Extra
Top with sliced green onions just before serving.
- Game Day Tip
This is a great Game Day chili that can be prepared the day before and will feed a big crowd. Use any leftovers to top baked potatoes and cooked wieners.
Prepare using Memphis-style barbecue sauce or your favorite flavor barbecue sauce.