Pumpkin carving is a great project for adults to do with children. Kids can design the jack-o'-lantern face, and adults can do the carving! Here are some tips to get you started:
- Place the pumpkin on newspaper for easy cleanup.
- Cut a circle around the stem of the pumpkin, using a knife with a long sturdy blade. (Making the cut at an angle will help keep the top from falling through when you place it back on.)
- Don't toss the seeds! When roasted, they make a delicious snack.
- Before making that first cut of the jack-o'-lantern's face, study all sides of the pumpkin to find the smoothest side.
- Draw the design on a piece of paper or print out one of our handy jack-o'-lantern carving stencils.
- Tape the paper to the pumpkin, and then score the design onto the pumpkin by punching through the paper into the pumpkin flesh with a large nail.
- With a sharp serrated knife, cut out the design using the punched holes as a guide. Remove the cut-out pieces by pushing them out from the inside of the pumpkin.
- The finished result is ready to be lit on that special, fun and spooky night!
Check out these ghoulishly fun stencils! Download the stencils here.